I record these mixes every year on first day of spring, now the counter hits 12. Melodic tunes varying from chillout, through progressive and deep house to uplifters. Also features my remix of “Impellent”, which sits quite well here. Enjoy!
Green Energy is in fact tribute to Nu-NRG duo and which recreates their style and signature sounds. Also I added some modern twists to this otherwise oldschool uplifter.
I finished this track some months ago. It’s already rocking on EDMCentral.fm, but now I know I can do better.
This is becausec recently I finished first (of many planned) reworks, which is Jurgen Vries – The Theme. Will probably share it someday as well, but for now it’s a secret. Know that it kicks ass. Stay tuned for more!
Ideas – we all have them. My single from last year, “Investigations”, is a collection of ideas not correctly developed. The more I listened to and played this track, the more scared I was. Behold! It’s now free for download.
The track was originally made in summer 2014. I played it a number of times since then in different versions. Finally reworked it just yesterday with new mixdown setup and some tricks which make it sound clean and bouncy. This way you can it all clearly, be it good or bad.
It also turns out that making trance sound very good and proper is easy – once you know how to. For all these years I was lost in details and messed up the basics. The base is correct bass and kick interaction as well as lots of dynamics. Once you got this done, every sound follows easily. Just check it out on your own.
A random observation: Soundcloud stats since some time act randomly, going up and down. Don’t know what to think about that, or how many people actually enjoyed the track.
Another one in a Spring Mix series. I’ve been doing these since the very beginning of DJing in 2006. This means 2015 edition is 10th episode in a series and deserves something special.
That’s why I went for classic mix. Everyone enjoys classics and you will do as well 🙂
In case you wondered, I can play much more than just 140 BPM all night long. Here’s new chilled and progressive mix. Perfect for hangovers or just weekend rest.
01. Thomas Datt – Mass Effect 2.5 (Chilled Mix)
02. Bee Hunter – The Sin (Original Mix)
03. Soundprank – Flare (Clameres Remix)
04. Wellenrausch – Rivers Deep (LTN Remix)
05. Everlight – Revenio (David Broaders Remix)
06. Jeremy Rowlett – Only (Original Mix)
07. BlackWhyte – Beyond (Original Mix)
08. Dave Horne – Cotton (Original Mix)
09. Myon & Shane 54 feat. Amy Pearson – Hurricane (LTN Remix)
10. RageVision – No Fear (South Pole Remix)
11. Nikhil Prakash feat. Trianda – Dreamers (Original Mix)
12. Monoverse – Kheira (Original Mix)
13. Helix – To Love Again (Original Mix)
14. Alter Future – October 3rd (T-Amo Remix)
15. C-Systems feat. Lira Yin – In Another Life (Original Mix)
16. Sleep Mode – Last Pluck (Original Mix)
17. Aitra – Through It All (Original Mix)
18. Adam Sobiech – Memories (Original Mix
19. Simza – We Are (Original Mix)
20. Bee Hunter – May the 4th (Original Mix)
21. Another World – Holding The Sun (Original Mix)
22. Andromedha – Until The End (Original Mix)
23. Mosahar – Where Are You (Original Mix)
24. Eddie Lung & DJ T.H. with Solid Skill – Winds Of Change (LTN Remix)
25. Reiklavik feat. Ica – Love In Warsaw (Original Mix)
26. Vitodito – Multiplicaciones (2014 Respray)
27. Andromedha – We Are Only Dust In The Universe (Original Mix)
28. LTN – Teardrops (Original Mix)
I will probably make some more mixes from time to time, depending on interest and popularity. This one was assembled pretty quickly from tracks I amassed over last few months and could be better if I spent more time (and money :P) on it.
The spring mix #9 is now finished. I record one every year around first day of spring to celebrate coming of the most beautiful season. It’s just like spring breeze – gentle, progressive, positive. beautiful and melodic, fading from chillout to uplifting.
It’s been 8 years now and things changed considerably. First of all, it’s mixed in key. Surely you will hear huge improvement over previous trials. Secondly, finally the ambient / chillout part is sorted out. It seems it’s impossible to complete nice key progression in key, tempo and style without browsing 20+ pages of Beatport. Still, some of great tunes were left unused.
Better listen to it already, as it turned out nice.
01. Adam Ellis – Napalm Poet (Magdelayna Chilled Remake)
02. Solarmax – Aural Movements (Original Mix)
03. The Challenger – Midnight Black (Original mix)
04. Thorin – Forgotten Places (Original Mix)
05. Fawn & Digital Sixable – Where Has Your Love Gone (Original Mix)
06. Coldplay – Clocks (Mark Lower Remix)
07. Cold Rush & Danny Claire – Gravity (Original Mix)
08. Thomas Hayes – Cirrus (Original Mix)
09. Airwave pres. Lolo – Laia’s Daydream (Original Mix)
10. Terry Da Libra & David Broaders – Loss Aversion (Original Mix)
11. Luigi Lusini – Life Like a Movie (Original Mix)
12. Furkan Senol – Serene Sky (Original Mix)
13. Erick Strong & Eskova – Another Day Of Life (Turn Remix)
14. Shingo Nakamura – The Four (Sundriver Remix)
15. Gareth Emery pres. GTR – Mistral (Tucandeo Rework)
16. Extravagance SL – Brera (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix)
17. Estrax & Aley&Oshay – Stop Tryin’ (Original Mix)
18. Johnny Yono feat. Carol Lee – We Will Live (Temple One Remix)
19. Smokers Area & Guerrero feat. Cory Friesenhan – Unfold Scenes (Manuel Rocca Remix)
20. Adam Lester – Tranquility (Magdelayna ‘Tranquil State’ Remix)
21. Allen & Envy with Sarah Lynn – Save Your Last Breath (Original Mix)
22. Fictivision vs. C-Quence – Symbols (UDM Bootleg 2014)
23. O.B.M Notion & Frank Dattilo pres. Alias – The Winter Breath (Original Mix)
24. O.B.M Notion – Peacefulness (Original Mix)
25. Seneta & Ben Shaw – Valhalla (Original Mix)
26. Ascania – Symbiosis (Original Mix)
27. Vasaris – Days Of Future Past (Original Mix)
28. New World – Giver of Life (Original Mix)
Download from 4shared (320 kbps)
One tip to producers: do not use exactly same percussion in each of your tune, as O.B.M. Notion does, as when mixed together it starts to flange terribly. Argh.
An extra info: for 2015 mix, which will be the 10th in series, I plan to go for classic edition. Warning, it may involve some absurd classic selection.
But now, just enjoy the mix.
My next tune, called Applied Magic, is finished and ready for mastering. In case you didn’t hear it yet, here’s a short clip from Soundcloud.
Edit: updated with final version.
To be honest, that one was poor compared to full and pimped tune. Still, you can get the idea of an atmosphere.
This time I aimed for maximum dynamic range. Dynamic range is important, as it means the track is alive. Too little dynamic range makes the tune flat and tiring. Dynamic range is defined as ratio of max volume (usually 0 dB) and average volume over time. Everybody wants to make the track as loud as possible, but actually one sound can be “loud” only compared to another, which is silent. Overcompressed tracks (as the sample I attached – I know it) may seem powerful at first moment, but feel boring soon after. There is not much fun in listening to rectangular waveforms, as they end up.
Now, that’s being said, only a few know (and even fewer understand) ways to improve dynamic range. This issue is subtle, abstract and subjective. It is also difficult to estimate or measure. One way to help in your production endeavours is Dynamic Range Meter, which works both as a plugin in maxing chain and standalone meter for mp3. BTW, I got this idea recommended by Arctic Moon himself.
It shows that the optimal DR for trance is 5 dB, and tracks vary from 4.6 (heavily compressed, like TrancEye) up to 5.4 – very tight and banging style of Jimmy Chou, for example. The more initial DR you have before mastering, the more you can screw out of the track. My DR is:
12+. This means I can easily have 7 dB of headroom, as a consequence I can increase root mean square volume by over 7 dB, which is over twice as loud without degrading the signal. This is gonna be huge!
Will report the progress later, depending of spare time and tasks over the next week. See you soon!