Another cover has landed – this time for a single “Overload” by Alhena. I did some driving retro hard trance remix for it, and it turned out really catchy. Well, you’ll have to wait till September 13th till it’s released.
For now, just enjoy the preview:
But know that the buildup is the the part where the magic happens 😉
Since now extended versions of tracks are on Youtube, there’s a good point to discuss how “Starvation” was made.
I had a simple idea in mind – a straightforward trance tune with african theme. This involves, obvioulsy, polyrthytmic djembe drums, but also harmonies. Some grooves were played by hand using different instruments, such as Ableton stock rack and Big Bang Cinematic Percussion, other loops were found on the Internet. As to harmonies, I googled some “african music”, understood correctly or not, and tried various chord progressions until it worked.
It actually started as far as two years ago, with the rough idea to create some true hard-hitting and dark trancer with evolving structure. The title “introscope” means “device to look into yourself” – it was meant to be a journey through different emotions and states of mind.
Back with a mix, long time no see! I couldn’t find much time for music lately, mostly as Stema Summer Sale got me 😉 But now I’m back on track, mixing music but also making it. As I don’t record mixes recently, the tracklists are getting too old. Need to catch up, have another similiar mix soon, or maybe more. To get anywhere with it, one needs to perform it on regular basis.
This set is an absolute premiere of my new production “Introscope”, which was born in pain over last two (!) years and kept in shadows, but finally coming close to completion. More details will be coming in the fllowing months.
I’ve been using this rack for two years now or more. Also requested it as a standard feature in Ableton library, but to no avail. So here it is, as simple as it gets: mid/side Audio Effect Rack. It consists of two channels, mid channel (width 0%) and side channel (width 200%). That’s all that was needed to make it work… once you know it. The reality is, not many people do.
Just before the deadline I finished a remix of Still Waiting by Kamille Louis. Good thing it’s shared in public and you can actually vote for it. The competition is strong though, mostly thanks to significant rewards.
Now back to backyard: The original feels pretty uninspired. I guess the author had no idea what to do with, and neither had I – the genre was quite off :P. The basic idea was to use samples from remix pack as much as possible. I started down from cutting every sample out of it and procesing them until they ended up with something useful. The track is driven by polyrhythmic maracas (new technique to me) and basslines were resynthesized in Serum from original samples. The pads were also resynthesized with Harmor, though with poor results – mostly ending up with atonal textures. Second lead was chopped guitars playing MIDI extracted from generic drum loops – Ableton bread and butter.
Still, it eventually turned out to be pretty nice progressive house with a bunch of unusual sample FX. In fact it’s all about mixdown.
So it’s done. The next remix will be full-on trance at 140 BPM made from this. Should be quite straightforward.