Psytrance work in progress

Hey, I didn’t post any track in a long time. It doesn’t mean they are not coming, just I’m trying not to reveal too much. To prove I’m still alive, here’s a short snippet from my full-on psytrance attempt.

I think I got it – it’s trippy but also getting more psy-ish with all these weird squelches in the background. Also trying hard to break the loop symmetry.

Most of stuff in this demo is done with Ableton Operator. Some sounds also come from my new purchase Harmor – which will get separate post once I examine it inside-out.

Work in progress – Green Energy

While “Investigations” tries to make its way through endless depths of Internet, I’m working on another project. It’s called “Green Energy” which is clear reference to Nu NRG and their works. Neverthless, I decided to add a little twist to old formula with recent trends.

And people enjoy it, this is the first time I get reposts. This is getting somewhere!

Another work in progress

Hey, this is something I made recently

I mostly wanted to present progress on technical side, that is mixdown and mastering. The track is far from complete yet,what you hear is about 30-40%. And no, it will not be an uplifter. Here’s short playlist that I’m after:

Kai Tracid – 4 Just 1 Day (Energy Mix)
Lost Tribe – Gamemaster (Original mix)
John Askew – Bastard (Original Mix)
Peter Plaznik – Operator Bandit (Original Mix)
Jurgen Vries – The Theme (Club Mix)
Running Man – Earth (Proyal Energetic Remix)

As you may have noticed, four of these tracks have memorable lyrics. That’s the thing which is missing, it will be a suprise 😉

Stay tuned for more.

Studio issues

I had terrible system failure last Saturday and it took me 6 days to recover. Nonetheless, now everything works perfect and I’m ready to finish the remix of Woven Drops.

Also, there was a short clip I made in the meantime – in fact, that was one-day session starting from scratch on my laptop. Still, you may find it promising and I advanced it quite a bit since then.

Also, though very simple, this got 60 plays first day only, which indicates I’m gradualy getting popular 😉

This clip sounds very techy, twisted and baging – though I plan to add some melody to resemble the original a bit more.

Will let you know when the full remix is ready 🙂

New tune incoming: Applied Magic

My next tune, called Applied Magic, is finished and ready for mastering. In case you didn’t hear it yet, here’s a short clip from Soundcloud.

Edit: updated with final version.

To be honest, that one was poor compared to full and pimped tune. Still, you can get the idea of an atmosphere.

This time I aimed for maximum dynamic range. Dynamic range is important, as it means the track is alive. Too little dynamic range makes the tune flat and tiring. Dynamic range is defined as ratio of max volume (usually 0 dB) and average volume over time. Everybody wants to make the track as loud as possible, but actually one sound can be “loud” only compared to another, which is silent. Overcompressed tracks (as the sample I attached – I know it) may seem powerful at first moment, but feel boring soon after. There is not much fun in listening to rectangular waveforms, as they end up.

Now, that’s being said, only a few know (and even fewer understand) ways to improve dynamic range. This issue is subtle, abstract and subjective. It is also difficult to estimate or measure. One way to help in your production endeavours is Dynamic Range Meter, which works both as a plugin in maxing chain and standalone meter for mp3. BTW, I got this idea recommended by Arctic Moon himself.

It shows that the optimal DR for trance is 5 dB, and tracks vary from 4.6 (heavily compressed, like TrancEye) up to 5.4 – very tight and banging style of Jimmy Chou, for example. The more initial DR you have before mastering, the more you can screw out of the track. My DR is:

Image

12+. This means I can easily have 7 dB of headroom, as a consequence I can increase root mean square volume by over 7 dB, which is over twice as loud without degrading the signal. This is gonna be huge!

Will report the progress later, depending of spare time and tasks over the next week. See you soon!

Moonspeak (work in progress)

In case you didn’t hear it yet, there’s a clip of my next track.

The clip is one week old already and it has advanced quite far since then. Still, I’m really happy with the sound quality.

That was possible mostly thanks to my new host, Ableton Live 9 and it’s effects. Finally get rid of old (very old) Ultrafunk FX Pack and GCO Compressor in favour of Ableton’s new logarithmic sidechain compressor/expander and bundled Glue compressor developed by friend Cyto. This way I managed to make the track as banging as you can hear it, without any mastering yet. In fact, in this example it clips because of high volume, but still has decent dynamic range.

Other Ableton 9 features, such as high-fidelity equalizer with built-in spectrum analyzer, audio-to midi function (priceless!), better browser and exponential envelopes just make development faster and easier. Also, I’m learning new functions Live has to offer every day and they all turn out useful. This is getting somewhere!